Shannen Doherty attributes her dismissal from 90210 to her challenging marriage

Shannen Doherty attributes her dismissal from 90210 to her challenging marriage

By M Muzamil Shami


On her podcast, the actress expressed a desire for someone to have taken the time to sit her down and elucidate the potential repercussions of her actions during that period.


Shannen Doherty is addressing the circumstances surrounding her sudden exit from Beverly Hills, 90210.

In the recent installment of her podcast, Let's Be Clear With Shannen Doherty, the actress had an open conversation with former co-star Jason Priestley. She candidly discussed the personal challenges she faced during her departure from the teen drama after season 4, shedding light on her troubled marriage to Ashley Hamilton.

Reflecting on her time on the show, the 52-year-old actress shared, "I experienced a lot of growth during my tenure on that series. There were moments of beauty, but also some really tough times. In my final season, I was trapped in a difficult marriage, and the unfolding events made it challenging for me to consistently meet work obligations on time. I understand how problematic that became for the rest of the cast, and rightfully so. It's tough when everyone else is punctual, and you find yourself causing delays."


A photograph of Shannen Doherty from her time on 'Beverly Hills, 90210'. Image credit: Everett
       A photograph of Shannen Doherty from her time on 'Beverly Hills, 90210'. Image credit: Everett


Although she admitted that the responsibility ultimately rested on her shoulders, Doherty conveyed to Priestly, 54, her desire for someone to have taken the time to sit her down and elucidate the potential repercussions of her actions back then. She expressed a longing for a straightforward conversation where she would have been told, "Listen, the eventual outcome is this – you're going to be fired, and none of us are willing to tolerate it any longer. I understand you have personal issues, but they can't spill into work, and you need to pull yourself together!"

While acknowledging that she probably didn't communicate as openly as she should have about her struggles, Doherty disclosed, "I don't think anybody knew that my father was seriously ill, and I don't think anybody knew that my husband was battling a severe drug addiction... and it consumed me entirely. I was even afraid to leave the house because I feared he would go and seek drugs."

Doherty and Hamilton tied the knot in October 1993, filing for divorce just five months later. Hamilton, the son of George Hamilton and Alana Collins, has been vocal about his battles with substance abuse.

In response, Priestley, who portrayed Brenda's twin brother Brandon, expressed regret over not being aware of Doherty's struggles. He shared, "It was incredibly tough for me, and there were so many uncertainties. I wish all of us had more insight into what was happening in your life so we could have approached your situation with greater compassion."

Post a Comment

0 Comments