Lindsay Ell Reflects on Challenges of Fitting into Country Music: 'I Tried to Fit Myself In'

Lindsay Ell Reflects on Challenges of Fitting into Country Music: 'I Tried to Fit Myself In'


October 05, 2024
By M Muzamil Shami


Lindsay Ell discusses overcoming challenges in the country music industry and her personal journey to self-acceptance.

Lindsay Ell recently opened up about the struggles she faced in her journey through country music and personal life. In an interview, she candidly shared, "I’ve been through it all," referencing her experiences with sexual assault, eating disorders, and toxic relationships.

"I viewed them as badges of honor, like, 'OK, world, hit me. I can take it,'" she told People. However, Ell noted that this mentality invited more chaos. "Now, I realize life doesn’t need to be lived that way."

Relocating from Canada to Nashville 15 years ago to pursue her country music career, Ell faced immense pressure early on. She recounted feeling the need to conform to industry standards. “I had a whole team telling me, 'Lindsay, you’re not country enough,’” she reflected. “I don’t even like beer. Why should I write songs about it?”

Looking back, the singer acknowledges her growth in embracing her true identity. Now, as an American citizen, Ell is preparing to release her upcoming EP Love Myself on Oct. 25, a project that reflects her evolution as both an artist and a person.

Post a Comment

0 Comments