Olivia Colman strongly criticizes the Hollywood pay gap, stating, "If I were Oliver Colman, I would be earning a heck of a lot more

Olivia Colman strongly criticizes the Hollywood pay gap, stating, "If I were Oliver Colman, I would be earning a heck of a lot more

By M Muzamil Shami

The recipient of an Oscar acknowledges that she, like many others, is subject to the enduring wage gap between men and women prevalent throughout the industry.


Olivia Colman is openly discussing the gender pay gap in Hollywood, a challenge that even an Oscar-winning actress like her cannot escape.


Prior to the release of her upcoming movie, "Wicked Little Letters," the actress and producer candidly discussed the ongoing wage gap within the entertainment industry in a recent interview on CNN's The Amanpour Hour.


"The pay gap issue is a sore spot for me. Male actors still earn more under the guise of drawing in audiences, a rationale that's been debunked for years. Yet, it persists, unfairly impacting women's earnings compared to their male peers," lamented The Crown star.



Olivia Colman. Images courtesy of DON ARNOLD/WIREIMAGE
       Olivia Colman. Images courtesy of DON ARNOLD/WIREIMAGE


During the interview, host Christiane Amanpour inquired of Colman whether she had personally encountered pay disparities, considering her esteemed reputation as an actress adorned with an Oscar, two Emmys, and four BAFTAs, alongside her involvement in notable projects such as Wonka, The Favourite, Broadchurch, The Crown, Fleabag, and Heartstopper. Colman responded to Amanpour, stating that despite her numerous accolades, she does not consider herself exempt from such disparities.


"I'm acutely conscious that if I were in Oliver Colman's position, my earnings would be significantly higher than they currently are," she stated. "I'm aware of a stark pay discrepancy, amounting to a 12,000 percent difference. Crunch the numbers, I'm well informed."

Post a Comment

0 Comments